RFF offers summer internships for outstanding undergraduate and graduate students. Each intern can expect to work with one or more RFF researchers on a variety of ongoing projects or assist in the development of entirely new areas of research and policy analysis.
Candidates should display strong writing skills and a desire to analyze complex environmental policy problems amenable to interdisciplinary methods. The ability to work without supervision in a careful and conscientious manner is essential. Highly motivated candidates in the social and natural sciences with training in economics and quantitative methods, or with a keen interest in public policy, are encouraged to apply.
Students are urged to consult the individual research project postings below before applying to determine whether they have a suitable background.
Priority consideration is given to graduate students. The program is open to both US and non-US citizens, provided that the latter have proper work and residency documentation.
Internships are available beginning in mid May and ending in late August for a 10-week assignment. To meet individual needs, some flexibility with the beginning and ending dates is possible.
Summer interns will earn a stipend of $375 per week for graduate students and $350 per week for undergraduates. Housing assistance is not provided.
Individuals interested in applying should submit the following materials through RFF’s online application system:
- a cover letter detailing project(s) of interest (see list below): please be as specific as possible when describing why you chose the project(s), as well as any related class work or experience;
- a resume/curriculum vitae;
- a recent transcript (unofficial copies are acceptable);
- a writing sample of three to five pages from a recent paper (excerpts are acceptable); and
- the name, address, phone number, and email information for two references.
Students will receive electronic notification of receipt of application materials.
Research Projects (Summer 2018)
- Decarbonization of Building Energy Use and Other Sectors Summer Internship
- Integrated Resources Planning for Economic and Environmental Outcomes Summer Internship
All application materials must be received by April 20, 2018.