This brief describes the impacts of the US shale revolution on local governments, and highlights strategies to plan for the future.
- Local governments have experienced increased revenue due to oil and gas development.
- They also face increased service demands, led by roads, water infrastructure, and public safety.
- Most local governments report that increased revenues have outweighed new demands.
- Local governments in rural regions have struggled at times to manage rapid growth.
- Revenue volatility has created new challenges for long-term planning.