- Flood Re is a new not-for-profit reinsurance pool in the UK. Operated by the insurance industry, it is designed to be a transitional arrangement to support the private insurance market and secure affordability of flood insurance through premium subsidies.
- The UK government has approved Flood Re despite not meeting cost-benefit targets, justifying it due to wider benefits to property markets and mortgage lending.
- Since its launch in April 2016, Flood Re has been supporting the commercial market in providing affordable insurance, but it has not yet been tested by a major flood event.
- Flood Re is likely to come under pressure in the face of rising flood risk, since it fails to incentivize flood risk management and risk reduction efforts.
- Flood Re demonstrates that flood insurance cannot be kept affordable without a concerted effort to reduce the underlying risk.