The Future of Carbon Pricing: Exploring the Latest Global Developments
A review of the latest trends in carbon pricing worldwide
Many federal carbon pricing bills have been introduced in the United States this year—but the United States is only one of many jurisdictions where carbon pricing takes center stage in climate policy discussions. On November 21, 2019, RFF hosted an event on the latest trends in carbon pricing worldwide, including reflections on recent developments in major economies, such as China, Germany, and Canada.
The session opened with a brief overview of the World Bank’s State and Trends of Carbon Pricing report, followed by geography-specific updates and a brief panel discussion. The event, part of RFF Live's Future of Carbon Pricing event series, covered a range of questions, including:
- What is the current status of China’s efforts to introduce a nationwide emissions trading system (ETS)?
- What does Prime Minister Justin Trudeau’s reelection mean for carbon pricing in Canada? And what does the Trump Administration’s challenge to the California-Quebec ETS linkage mean for future transborder efforts?
- How will Germany move to implement a country-specific trading program for its building and transportation sectors, even while continuing its participation in the EU ETS?
- Nora Löhle, Heinrich Böll Foundation North America
- Richard Morgenstern, Resources for the Future
- Céline Ramstein, World Bank Group
- Craig Weichel, Embassy of Canada
- Moderator: Dallas Burtraw, Resources for the Future
Darius Gaskins Senior Fellow
Dallas Burtraw is the Darius Gaskins Senior Fellow at RFF. Burtraw’s research includes analysis of the distributional and regional consequences of climate policy and the evolution of electricity markets, including renewables integration.
Richard D. Morgenstern
Richard Morgenstern is a senior fellow at RFF. His research focuses on the economic analysis of environmental issues with an emphasis on the costs, benefits, evaluation, and design of environmental policies.
Climate Change Specialist, World Bank Group
Counsellor/Program Manager (Environment & Energy), Embassy of Canada
RFF Live — Mar 6, 2019
The Future of Carbon Pricing
Opportunities and challenges facing carbon pricing during the next few years, and lessons learned from carbon pricing around the world.
RFF Live — Sep 20, 2019
The Future of Carbon Pricing: Examining 2019's New Proposals
Understanding the nuances of the many carbon pricing plans introduced so far this year
Working Paper — Nov 9, 2023
Leveraging the IRA to Achieve 80x30 in the US Electricity Sector
This working paper explores how a federal emissions cap could build on the emissions reductions promised by the Inflation Reduction Act.