Stanford Global Carbon Management Workshop
An invitation-only workshop exploring opportunities for global carbon management research
Event Details: Identifying Research Opportunities in Global Carbon Management with a Focus on Natural Climate Solutions
Stanford University hosted an invitation-only workshop to discuss opportunities for global carbon management research and the development of business strategies, with a focus on natural climate solutions. Natural climate solutions are conservation, restoration, and improved land management actions that increase carbon storage or avoid greenhouse gas emissions in landscapes and wetlands across the globe. Combined with innovations in clean energy and other efforts to decarbonize the world’s economies, natural climate solutions offer options to tackle some of our hard-to-reduce emissions from distributed sources while improving human interaction with the land, oceans and ecosystems.
Hosted by the Strategic Energy Alliance, Stanford Precourt Institute for Energy, Stanford Carbon Removal Initiative, and Stanford Woods Institute for the Environment, this meeting engaged key participants from academia, industry, NGOs and government—including RFF's Ann M. Bartuska.
The themes for the three online sessions were:
Day 1: The Global Carbon Cycle and Natural Climate Solutions
Day 2: Challenges and Opportunities in Natural Climate Solutions
Day 3: Carbon Management and Mitigation Strategies
Workshop Organizing Committee
- Sally Benson, Co-Director, Stanford Precourt Institute for Energy
- Chris Field, Faculty Director, Stanford Woods Institute for the Environment
- Arun Majumdar, Co-Director, Stanford Precourt Institute for Energy
- Shaffiq Jaffer, Vice President, Corporate Science and Technology Projects,Total
- Ajay Mehta, General Manager, New Energies Research & Technology, Shell
- Jennifer Milne, Senior Research Program Officer, Stanford Precourt Institute for Energy
- Sarah Saltzer, Managing Director, Stanford Carbon Removal Initiative
- Richard Sassoon, Executive Director, Strategic Energy Alliance
Media Highlight — Aug 9, 2022
Reuters: "Small-Scale Forest Landowners Gain Foothold in the US Carbon Markets"
RFF Senior Fellow David Wear comments on the relationship between small-scale landowners and carbon markets.
RFF Live — Sep 7, 2022
Sparking Solutions: The Fuels Management Challenge and Opportunity
Examining the role of fuels management in mitigating the impacts and intensity of wildfires